vendredi 10 juillet 2015

Rhea Kapoor "I'm a control freak"



At 6 in the evening when most of Mumbai is returning home from work or taking an evening jog, Rhea Kapoor has just woken up from a power nap. The exhaustion on her face is evident. She brews coffee for  both of us in her open kitchen at her office in Santacruz. “Some believe I have 20 people bustling around me. That’s not true. I do everything on my own,” laughs the honcho of Anil Kapoor Films Company (AKFC). “Actually, I’m kidding. dad (actor/producer Anil Kapoor) is always there if I need him. But we’re all trying to stand on our own feet,” says the sister of star Sonam Kapoor and newbie Harshvardhan Kapoor.

The young producer has had a draining last few months - what with the release of their second production Khoobsurat. But Rhea’s already back to business. “I can’t rely on past laurels. I have to keep the ball rolling. I thrive on the rush,” she asserts. And she’s thrilled about the response Khoobsurat has received from the audiences and the critics alike. “I put my heart and soul into this film. We wanted to make a sweet story, which would make people happy and that’s what it did. Shashanka (Ghosh, director) is an incredible director and a beautiful soul.” For those who said it was nothing like the Hrishikesh Mukherjee original, Rhea replies, “There’s respect for the original, we’ve paid homage to the original in the film. But like Sonam and Shashanka maintained, the classic was just an inspiration. There’s no point retelling the same story. And the original Khoobsurat story wouldn’t even be relevant today.”

She reiterates that Khoobsurat has fared far better than her first production Aisha. “That film will always be close to my heart. It’s my first. When I worked on Aisha, I was 21. When I began Khoobsurat, I was 25. My sense of story and script has evolved. I am more patient and also more confident now.” But her journey hasn’t been an easy one. She insists that being a female producer, the industry makes you insecure about your choices. “Many suggested that my second film shouldn’t be a rom-com. But just because I like pretty things, it doesn’t make me stupid. I am an intelligent, capable, passionate woman who slogs my ass off. I know many women who do the same and still like fairy tales. That doesn’t make them or me any less intelligent,” she says. “I spent my growing years watching such films. They are food for the soul. It’s so important to have characters like Mili (played by Sonam in Khoobsurat) for young girls to look up to. I’ll definitely make chick flicks once in two years. I want to see women have fun; I want to see them represented in a positive light. I understand girls. I can make better rom-coms than men.” The spunky Kapoor isn’t afraid of making mistakes. “Even if I go wrong, at least they’ll be my mistakes. Everyone had questioned my casting a Pakistani actor - Fawad Khan. But we needed to cast a guy who was magnetic, mysterious and who’d make for a perfect romantic hero. We didn’t have someone like Fawad in our industry. And we didn’t want to ‘fit’ someone into the role,” she grins. “Now, those same people are calling it a master stroke. They’re calling him the desi Mr Darcy. Working on this film has also taught me to stick to my guns.”
Rhea
"I don't want Sonam to be like other actors"

Though Rhea is younger than sister Sonam, the two share a purely professional relationship on set. “I can’t be her sister on the set. I’m a producer,” she giggles. “Plus Sonam’s a director’s actor. So I leave it up to the director to deal with her. I give everyone their space. I don’t sit on anyone’s head because I don’t want them to feel like they’re manufacturing a product. I want them to feel like they’re creating something.” Apparently, the sisters often end up arguing on the set. Says she, “Sonam and I do disagree but it’s never been huge because Sonam has faith in me. I guess Khoobsurat is one of Sonam’s best performances. She owned the film and came into her own as an actor.”

She’s all praise for her sister’s by now well-known candour. “With Sonam, what you see is what you get. That’s not the case with more than half the industry. The reason Sonam has found friends in the industry is because she’s as real as they come. The reason she has an incredible fan following among young girls is also because her fans relate to her shortcomings and strengths. I love the fact that she never has a plan. She doesn’t carry a blueprint with her.” But Sonam’s straight speak has cost the actress a lot, with onlookers damning her political incorrectness. And that upsets Rhea too. “I love her so much that I don’t want her to be like other actors. They sound robotic when they speak. At the same time, I want her to protect herself too and don’t wish her to be completely out there. So I tell her to be herself, just 10 per cent less vocal,” she smiles.

Those who have worked with Rhea, allege that she’s a control freak. The producer candidly even agrees to this claim. “I can’t help that. It’s in my nature. And the only way I can combat this control freakiness (sic) is to appoint people I have complete confidence in.” Inquire whether she has imbibed this trait from her father or mother (Sunita Kapoor) and she replies, “Well, my confidence comes from my parents. Dad has never treated me like a daughter, always like a son. My parents are my anchors. I don’t know if I’ve imbibed this particular quality from them but I’ve gone on my mother. I like controlling everything from behind the scenes. I like being low key.”

This youngest producer of B-town also has a rather ambitious vision for her company, AKFC. “We aim to be content creators. I want to look at demographics that people don’t usually consider. Like make films for young girls. We’re also going to go digital soon. And we’ll also be doing more of TV.” Pretty cool for a 20-something, no?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire